Homemade Cadbury Eggs
These Easter treats are a family favorite! While the ones you can buy are very tasty, there is nothing like the taste of our homemade ones. They take a bit of time to make, but they are well worth it! Once you eat these, you’ll never go back to the store bought ones again…
- 170g (1/2 cup) light corn syrup
- 58g (1/4 cup) butter, room temperature
- 375g (3 cups) confectioner’s powdered sugar (icing sugar)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- yellow food coloring (I like Wilson brand for the intensity of the yellow)
- chocolate candy melts, almond bar, or 1 (12 ounce) bag milk chocolate chips (I like a mix of milk chocolate and semi sweet chocolate chips)
- In the bowl of a mixer, cream the butter, corn syrup and vanilla until smooth. Once the mixture is smooth, slowly add the powdered sugar and beat on medium low speed until well mixed.
- Spoon out two thirds of the mixture. Mix in yellow food colouring to the remaining one third.
- Chill both in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour for ease of handling.
- Remove both mixtures from the fridge. Roll the yellow mixture into balls and place on a wax paper lined baking sheet. (I like to roll yellow mixture into a snake and then cut small pieces to roll into balls)
- Place in the yolks in the freezer for about 20 minutes. Remove yolks from the freezer and cover with white mixture while forming into an egg shape. (I like to roll the white mixture into a snake and then cut small pieces to wrap the yolks into. You want to have an equal number of white pieces as yolks ☺)
- Freeze eggs for about 30 minutes.
- Melt the chocolate. Dip eggs into the chocolate coating completely.
- Place eggs on wax paper lined baking sheet and place in the refrigerator until the chocolate has set.
- Store in the refrigerator. For softer eggs keep at room temperature; however, refrigerated eggs will soften quickly at room temperature.
We would love to know what you think about this recipe! Did you like it? Did your family and friends think it was tasty? Please share your comments below…